A letter from the pastor...
By the Reverend Steven Kim
The Gardeners in God’s Land
The much-anticipated spring is finally around the corner unless we are going to have more snow storms in April. So is the season of gardening. These are what it takes in cultivating a garden: put gardening soil first and add fertilizer to it. Sow the seeds and fence the garden around. Once you see the vegetables grow, you need to water them and take the weeds out regularly.
It is a lot of work but you enjoy that in anticipation of harvesting the fresh vegetables right from your garden. In gardening the joy comes not only from harvesting crops at the end, but also from sowing the seeds in anticipation and caring for the plants throughout the season. In short, it is about the joy of raising life. The Psalmist knew this joy as well. Psalm 126:6 says, “Those who go out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with them.”
Friends, God has called you and me to sow the seeds of the eternal life unto the people who live without God, help them out till they grow to the full measure of salvation. They could be your family, your loving children, your friends, your co-workers, or your neighbors. They might look like they are doing well by outward appearance. Unfortunately, however, their spirits groan while taking no part in God’s given life.
We can plant them in the heavenly garden and water them in our prayers. Envision them to take root in the soil of salvation and grow beautifully. In His season, God will harvest them into His heavenly barn. Galatians 5:22 says, “But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness…” I envision you and I becoming the faithful gardeners in God’s land this year. Let Him do His gardening works by using our hands and feet. Amen.
For Healing, for Courage and Strength, and God’s Mercy:
- Ron and Linda Willa on the death of Linda’s father and we ask for traveling mercies for them as they start a new chapter in their life.
- We offer prayers of thanks for the Laurino family who made the palm crosses for the folks at SUMC!
- The family and friends of Michael Lawlor, who died last week.
- Nancy and Jed ask for prayers for their friend, Mark's sister, Megan who is in critical condition in the hospital and for Millie Perez, who is being treated for cancer.
- Pastor Steven as we follow his lead through Holy Week.
- Dr. Allison McLarty gives thanks all who have been praying for her mother.
- David, who has been diagnosed with a rare aggressive cancer.
- Rev. Paul Wancura, who is in critical condition in Stony Brook Hospital.
- Marilyn Metcalf, who is suffering from a knee infection
- Christians around the world who are being persecuted for their faith.
- Celie and Bob Lundquist
- Diana Spetta
- Pat Balcom
- Jolanda Rice
- Gail Bean
- Karlann Paden
- Betty Bolden
- Barbara Thomas
- Audrey Savwoir
Download This Form (Right Click on this sentence - "Save Target AS"