About Setauket UMC

Setauket UMCPreaching commenced in the old Setauket schoolhouse not far from our present church in 1835. Following a revival held in Port Jefferson in 1843, the hearts of five men were sufficiently warmed to the point that they organized the Methodist Society of Setauket. Those original Methodists were: Alfred Darling, Peter Darling, William Cargill, Richard Terrell and Charles W. Darling.

The fledgling congregation purchased what was known as the Baptist Meeting House as their first spiritual home. In 1869 the Baptist Meeting House was moved across 25A and all able-bodied men including the pastor began digging the foundation of the new and current church. Captain Richard Terrell and his son-in-law Alexander Bryant brought fieldstone from Connecticut for the foundation. The original church was modest and much of the construction was done by its members, who were employed in the local shipbuilding industry.

As the size of the congregation grew, so did the need to add to the initial church structure. The Norton and Van Brunt wings were added sometime after World War II as returning veterans and the building of Stony Brook University added to the population of the Three Village area.

The church has been the “Light on the Hill” for 140 years and with the blessings of God will continue to shine and welcome all who pass through Setauket.